The 3 Pillars of Lean: Remove Unevenness, Remove Overburden, Remove Waste.
MUDA - Any activity in your process that does not add value. MUDA is not creating value for the customer. In short: WASTE.
Type I Muda: Non-value-added tasks which seem to be essential. Business conditions need to be changed to eliminate this type of waste.
Type II Muda: Non-value-added tasks which can be eliminated immediately.
1. Overproduction: Creating more that the customer needs or sooner that the customer needs it thus leading to inventory or decreased margins.
2. Waiting: People or parts that wait for a work cycle to be completed
3. Transporting or Motion: Any movement within the workspace that cannot be done more ergonomically or efficiently, such as picking heavy objects up from floor level to a bench or other working area. Unnecessary movement of parts between processes.
4. Over Processing: Doing more to the product than is required by the customer such as over specifying tolerances causing slower more expensive processes to be utilized. Processing beyond the standard required by the customer. By improving processing efficiency we ultimately use less resource to achieve the same customer satisfaction
5. Inventory: Inventory many times used as a buffer to hide all of the problems in your system. It insulates you from supplier failure, poor scheduling, breakdowns, poor quality and many other problems. In addition inventory requires space, transporting and ties up your cash. Any raw material, work in progress (WIP) or finished goods which are not having value added to them.
6. Excess Motion: Any movement within the workspace that cannot be done more ergonomically or efficiently, such as picking heavy objects up from floor level to a bench or other working area.
7. Defects or Rejects: Probably the first thing that comes to mind when someone says waste in an industrial setting, the costs of defects is usually a factor of ten greater than just the material costs involved. A defect is a component which the customer would deem unacceptable to pass the quality standard.
new choice for BUSINESS SEARCH
All IBGR Shows Notes are available for download