Talent (Discretionary Performance)
We titled the Talent Dashboard as ‘Discretionary Performance’ because of the problem with goal setting and performance standards are low expectations. Most people can work at 30-40% of their capability and stay employed – just mailing it in because of low standards – got any?. The secret of the most successful companies is their ability to tap into the remaining 60%. The challenge – it is up to them to choose, you cannot beat out of them and you don’t have enough money to bribe it.
There are three drivers or causes for people being willing to perform beyond what is required, how to stimulate Discretionary Performance:
Leadership is about presence and the day-to-day focus of the owner’s and their representatives on the job. What really matters is what the direct supervisor wants, what expectations they set, and how they represent the company.
There are three drivers or causes for providing a continuous focus on the right things:
Teamwork is about how well people in the same group work together. Some positions require solo performance, most require teamwork. Creating it is a little more difficult than one-on-one leadership because of the dynamics of groups.
There are three drivers or causes for creating teamwork:
Mastery is about how the organization hires, promotes, and uses technology to multiply performance. Job fit is critical because putting people into positions who do not have the knowledge or personality to be successful is a waste of time and money – no matter how hard anybody tries. Once you have the right person in the job, what is the nature of the psychological contract about competence – are they motivated to improve and is the company investing in developing their skills.
There are three drivers or causes for creating skill masterly:
Next show: E.013 Creating Results Metrics
new choice for BUSINESS SEARCH
All IBGR Shows Notes are available for download