Leaders need to understand how to problem solve.
Help leaders make better and more sound decisions.
Leaders sometimes give up on making difficult decisions instead of gaining influence by tackling difficult problems.
“There is a sense of exhilaration that comes from facing head-on the hard truths and saying, ‘We will not give up. We will never capitulate. It might take a long time, but we will find a way to prevail.’” — Jim Collins
What You Need to Know
PROBLEMS INTRODUCE US TO OURSELVES
1. Our Decisions Are Often Impacted by Our Proximity to the Problem How did the story with the astronauts illustrate this?
2. Our Plates as Leaders Will Always Be Filled with Problems
3. Pragmatism Serves Us Well as Leaders
4. Believing There is Always an Answer is an Asset.
5. Our Actions Can Make Our Problems Increase in Number and Size
6. Problems Handled Well Often Make Us Better
What You Need to Do
PROBLEMS INTRODUCE US TO OTHERS
“I’m not able to comment on his character. I’ve never seen him handle adversity.”
ASK: How has another person’s character surprised you when they had adversity?
1. People Who Make Problems Worse
2. People Who Become Problem Magnets
3. People Who Give Up in the Face of Problems Do you have a Rolodex story?
4. People Who Use Problems as Stepping-Stones for Success
PROBLEMS INTRODUCE US TO OPPORTUNITIES
“In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.” Albert Einstein
1. Recognize a Potential Problem Before it Becomes a Real Problem
2. Get a Clear Picture of the Problem
3. Ask Questions to Help You Solve Problems
4. Create a Framework to Examine Problems and Solutions
5. Value Shared Problem Solving
6. Always Come Up with More Than One Solution
7. Cultivate a Bias for Action
8. Actively Look for Opportunities and Lessons in Every Problem
APPLICATION: Developing the Problem Solver Within You
Enlisting Others as Problem Solvers
Starting this week, when you face problems, begin using questions to learn more about the members of your team, gather information, brainstorm ideas, and find multiple solutions to problems.
Add your own questions to help your team further.
Written by: Cedrick LaFleur, LaFleur Leadership Institute
Talk Leadership with Cedrick on Radio airs Thursday, 4pmCST https://www.ibgr.network/
Talk Leadership with Cedrick on live on FB & YouTube Monday 630pmCST
Talk Leadership with Cedrick on live on FB & YouTube Tuesday 530pmCST
IG: lafleurleadership Twitter: @lafleurleaders
new choice for BUSINESS SEARCH
All IBGR Shows Notes are available for download