Show Objectives - The Why
They say never let the truth get in the way of a good story. So, how do we tell the truth in advertising whilst selling the best features and benefits of our goods?
When the Federal Trade Commission finds a case of fraud perpetrated on consumers, the agency files actions in federal district court for immediate and permanent orders to stop scams; prevent fraudsters from perpetrating scams in the future; freeze their assets; and get compensation for victims.
When consumers see or hear an advertisement, whether it’s on the Internet, radio or television, or anywhere else, federal law says that ad must be truthful, not misleading, and, when appropriate, backed by scientific evidence.
The FTC enforces these truth-in-advertising laws, and it applies the same standards no matter where an ad appears – in newspapers and magazines, online, in the mail, or on billboards or buses.
The FTC looks especially closely at advertising claims that can affect consumers’ health or their pockets – claims about food, over-the-counter drugs, dietary supplements, alcohol, and tobacco and on conduct related to high-tech products and the Internet. The FTC also monitors and writes reports about ad industry practices regarding the marketing of alcohol and tobacco. During the recent coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, the FTC has been sending warning letters to companies that may be violating the FTC Act, to warn them that their conduct is likely unlawful and that they can face serious legal consequences, such as a federal lawsuit, if they do not immediately stop.
Key Issues - Owner Perspective:
Many people believe “truth in advertising” is an oxymoron.
Of course, burgers always look bigger and juicier in ads than they do in real life. All women are rail-thin and perfectly endowed in fashion advertising. And that cologne will make you irresistible to all women.
So, critics jump to the conclusion that all advertising is false advertising. That all marketers use dishonest tricks to get us to buy things we don’t want or need. They say there is no truth in advertising. Alternate facts, maybe, but not truth
Great brands are built by business owners (and their agencies) who know how to tell good stories.
And good story telling always involves elements of truth, plus a little “creative license.”
Your brand stories don’t have to be literally true, but they must ring true to a particular group of people.
Domestos bleach claims it kills 99.9% of germs… that leaves them 0.1% wiggle room incase their product is ever deemed to be ineffective.
Facts are far less interesting than stories. If the facts are truly on your side, that’s great, your marketing job will be a lot easier. But you still need to find a creative way to present those facts. That means weaving them into a compelling narrative.
The What and How…
Written by - Richard Miller – Brand Director, Crisp & Co.
Innovation, creative content and strategic communication specialist.
Richard started his first business at the age of 14 and has thrived on creating and building entrepreneurial opportunities ever since.
He began his advertising career as Agency Sales Executive for TV network Channel 10 in 2006.
Experienced in both media sales and buying, Richard was responsible for multi-million-dollar media accounts as National Media Manager for Iceberg Media before co-founding Crisp & Co. in 2009 (formally Crisp Advertising).
Taking a pragmatic and results focussed return on investment approach has established Crisp & Co. as the go to creative and communications agency for local and national businesses seeking expertise in business insight, creative content and strategic communication.
With a lifetime of experience operating small to medium businesses and working closely with both local and national brands, Richard is well positioned to take a holistic view of a full marketing and sales plan with a keenly trained eye on creative concepts and communication strategy.
Along with wife and work colleague Siobhan Miller, Richard also co-hosts the podcast series Mad Man & The Hospitalian; interviewing highly successful professionals from business, marketing and hospitality backgrounds around Australia, discussing the highs and lows of their careers and asking the ultimate question; ‘what is your definition of a fruitful life?’.
Find out more about Crisp & Co. here www.crispand.co and listen to Mad Man & The Hospitalian wherever you get your podcasts. Connect with Richard on LinkedIn
new choice for BUSINESS SEARCH
All IBGR Shows Notes are available for download